Home Board/Day News
T.Y. Contact Applying
Index Sports Parents.

Rockwell College

  • AD0T9879
  • AD0T9926
  • Rockwell JCT v CBC 050313-12
  • AD0T9869
  • Rockwell JCT v CBC 050313-92
  • PA100068
  • AD0T9877
  • PB070107
  • AD0T9860
  • Girls Hockey 042
  • Girls Hockey 069

For a short video on the history of Rockwell College, please click here

Ethos

Rockwell College, a Catholic School, was founded in 1864 in the religious and educational tradition of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit. The School authority is committed to building a Christian community which respects the rights and uniqueness of each pupil, as well as promoting respect for civil authorities and a concern and care for one another.

Rockwell College is one of eight schools under the patronage of the Spiritan Education Trust (SET). A ninth school, Holy Faith Community School Rathcoole, shares joint patronage with the SET. To find out more about the SET structures, visit www.Spiritaneducation.ie. Schools under the patronage of the DEA provide a Catholic education in the Spiritan tradition. This tradition is founded on Seven Core Values:

Openness to the Spirit

A Sense of Community

Concern for the Poor

Commitment to service

Global Vision

High Educational Standards

Personal Development

At the heart of the ethos of Rockwell College is a spirit of inclusivity, where each child is valued equally and respect is encouraged. This spirit is evident through the structures of the College inside and outside the classroom.

History

The land upon which Rockwell is built once formed part of a vast estate of Richard Boyle, Earl of Cork. At the beginning of the last century it was the property of William Roe, a barrister by profession, who rented the old mansion to the Marquis of Waterford in 1841. The Marquis, who used the residence as a hunting-lodge, added to the mansion a cut stone bow window that is now the hall doorway to the College. The property afterwards passed into the possession of Monsieur Charles Thiebault, a wealthy French Catholic with business in Dundee, Scotland. After his death his brother, Monsieur Gustave Thiebault donated it to the Scottish Bishops. The Holy Ghost Fathers  entered into residence in 1864. In 1872 the College was re-organised for Secondary Studies and became the foundation of our school as it is today.

The House and Estate was bought from the Bishops in 1877 for £7,000. The first work was the training of priests for Scotland; hence Rockwell’s earliest name: "The Scot College".

The Rockwell College Crest

A dove in its own colour, with seven rays descending in gold colour, symbolising Pentecost.

The shield is divided in quarters. In the first is a field of azure blue, with a castle of its own colour standing on a Rock with waves all around. The tower on the wave-washed Rock is taken from the municipal seal of Cashel, the water being added to represent our lake.

Figuratively, this quarter symbolises our steadfast loyalty to the gospel teachings handed on by our Church, founded on the Rock of Peter and unmoved by the storms of history.

In the second quarter, on a red field are three fleurs-de-lis in gold. They are the traditional symbol of the royalty of France, and signify the origin of the Holy Ghost Fathers.

In the third quarter, on a black field are three books in their own colour. They represent the College tradition in Scholarship.

The fourth quarter represents the Province of Munster on a field of the first three antique crowns of gold.

Red represents the Holy Spirit, blue Mary the Mother of God. The motto means: "Amidst inevitable change, constancy". It indicates the resolute adherence to Faith and other Gospel values, and to the traditions of our school which should characterise every member of the Rockwell College Educational Community and the young people confided to our care.