Rockwell College regrets to announce the death of College Archivist Fr. Peter Queally CSSp on December 28th 2019, aged 80.


Son of Mary Ellen (née Cotter) and Luke Queally of Broadstrand, Courtmacsherry, Peter attended primary school locally. After secondary studies in Rockwell College, he moved to the Spiritan novitiate at the age of 19. When he had been professed he studied Philosophy in Dublin, worked in Blackrock College for a 2-year period while still a seminarian, and completed four years of Theology studies.

Ordained in 1966, Fr. Peter was appointed to Sierra Leone. He served in the west African country for over 25 years, mostly as parish-priest but also as an archdiocesan Director of Catechetics.

In Ireland from the mid-1990s, Fr. Peter worked on his Congregation’s promotions team for four years, as Director for much of that time.

In 1998 he returned to Rockwell College, the Spiritan school he had left as a secondary student four decades years earlier. Over the next 20 years he fulfilled a number of roles including coordinating the distribution and collection of Spiritan mite boxes in parts of Munster. He travelled to Oileán Chléireweekly to do weekend ministry as Gaeilge.

He was the school’s archivist in recent years and provided invaluable access to the late Dr. Sean O'Donnell as he researched the sesquicentennial publication of Rockwell College. In the months before his death Fr Peter liaised with Seamus J King in his work on the history of Rockwell Rovers GAA club, published in November 2019. But more importantly Fr. Peter was able to provide many relatives of past pupils with information on their family members, some long-deceased , and in doing so helped to maintain and strengthen the precious link between the past and present at Rockwell College. The TY pupils who worked with him in the Archives remember a man of commitment and deep loyalty to the College and to his beloved west Cork.

Ill-health led to Fr. Peter’s move in November 2019 to Kimmage Manor in Dublin, his Congregation’s main base in Ireland and where he had done much of his studies for the priesthood. Taken gravely ill a few days after Christmas, he died in St. James’s Hospital on 28th December.

Ar dheis Dé to raibh a anam.